Saturday, November 8, 2014

FlashMode: A Fall Fashion Event in Old Montréal

(Posted on Wordpress on October 3rd, 2014)

For almost a year, the only capacity under which I had been covering local events was for a blog directed at models, in an effort to inform them about local events. While I appreciate the opportunity to not only immerse myself in the Montreal fashion scene but to write about it, no matter the context, I must say that I'm quite happy with my decision to start covering shows for my own blog, as well. It is therefore with seemingly new eyes and an open mind that, on October first, I made my way to FlashMode, at the Darling Foundry, in Old Montreal.
The invite-only event drew attention to a series of our most talented designers and successful clothing stores, all with brick-and-mortar locations in Old Montreal, from Anne de Shalla to Denis Gagnon and from Travis Taddeo to Philippe Dubuc, while providing people with an opportunity to network. The evening started off with a complimentary glass of champagne, beautiful, miniature food and some time to view a fashion photo exhibit that featured some of this season's key designs.
PSX_20141003_130145
At seven o'clock we all filed into another room, where we were privy to a brief but poignant presentation. A handful of models walked the runway to a two-storey structure made of scaffolding, where they posed for photographs. During this time, the catwalk was dismantled and the room was set up for the next phase of the evening. A lot of people around me expressed surprise at the show's short duration, as many people had arrived a couple of hours prior, in anticipation. That said, I appreciated the layout of the evening and, when I think about how I would like to display my upcoming line, I never see it paraded down a runway in the traditional sense. I see a photo exhibit and cocktails and a very short show or even performance art. I like that FlashMode ventured outside the box or, at least, thought along the same lines as I do and, in keeping with its artistic spirit of it all, I took a few, non-traditional runway shots.
PSX_20141001_204947The evening concluded with a projected film featuring some backstage footage of Denis Gagnon, blaring beats and more time to check out some locally designed garments, which were displayed at various vendors' tables.
As I made my way to coat check, I felt my inner aesthete smile. It had been a beautiful evening, I met some great people I look forward to seeing again and I'm excited about the new path this blog is now on. This round-up packed a punch and left the people I spoke to and overheard hungry for more. It was a fabulous way to kick off autumn and get people enthused about the style gems Old Montreal has to offer and I rather look forward to whatever the SDC Vieux-Montréal and the designers they showcased have in store for us next!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management