Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Shopping in Las Vegas: Glam Factory Vintage


 It was a last-minute online search that lead me to Glam Factory's doorstep and, man, am I glad that it did. Even before setting out on my trip, I had planned on visiting The Gypsy Den and it was only when double-checking their address from my hotel room that I realized they had closed. Right below the link informing me of this was one displaying this name at 211 E. Colorado Street.          


  As soon as  my dad and I pulled up, I knew I had to go in and he knew he had to stay in the car and nap. The first thing I saw upon entering, before all the colours and textures drew me and even before the beautiful, tall redhead who was clearly into pinup culture flashed me a smile and ducked into the change room, was an adorable and inquisitive pug. All of this made for quite the first impression and I happily wandered in to look, and to pet (yes, the dog, too, but mostly the fabrics!).


  I veered off into the store's relatively new expansion and was greeted by Katie May, a pleasant and upbeat woman who loves to talk about fashion, clothing and vintage treasure hunting as much as I do, if not more. While chatting with her, I discovered that she had spent so much at Glam Factory as a customer that the only logical thing for her to do was to start working there in exchange for clothing. With a such regular rotation of beautiful garments from the 1920's to the 1990's coming in and out of there, it's no wonder she's thrilled to be among them on a regular basis!


  While Katie May and I discussed everything from the quality present in vintage clothing versus the lack thereof in fast fashion to finding clothing that fits to life in Arizona to fashion design and while my dad baked in the rental, the shop's owner ran around, assisting the aforementioned bomb shell and moving stock around. I caught up with Stephanie and her mother, who was behind the cash, for a few quick photos and anecdotes.


  Glam Factory Vintage is run by a warm, lively woman who is clearly in her element and loving what she does. She marveled at how small our world is, telling me that she knows Patrick, whose blog is Parka Avenue and who also lives in Montreal. He once posted about her shop, as he always drops by and scores mod gear when he's in Vegas, which prompted a couple in Belgium to check it out when they were on vacation.

  As it turns out, the little miss in Stephanie's arms had belonged to a local homeless couple and had been living in a shopping cart. When she saw the state of the pup, now named Miss Daisy, she couldn't help but take her in, have her illnesses looked after and give her a loving home.

  If you've got time when you're in Las Vegas, and you're looking for something to see that doesn't involve maneuvering your way through throngs of flip-flop wearing tourists slinging margarita bongs, bachelor party ensembles hooting and hollering at passersby and teenage girls in bedazzled spandex wearing heels so high they wobble like Bambi on ice, the art district is worth the detour from the Strip. If you want great quality vintage clothing and a shopping experience that will leave a smile lingering on your face even when it's over, Glam Factory Vintage is for you.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management