Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Project Montréal

The kids and I are launching a project this spring. Most Montrealers only leave their 'hoods to go to work, to  scope out a mall or to go to a bar. Every neighbourhood is so unique while offering everything one could possibly need that people tend to stay put, especially after they've reached a certain age. And when not self-confined to a specific neighbourhood, people who live East of St-Laurent tend to not go further West than McGill and people on the other side tend to halt at St-Denis. Now that I no longer DJ or bartend and now that most of our lives are to the West of Peel, I have also fallen into this comfortable pattern.

Now there are a few things going on: I have to train for a 60 km walk, I've decided to leave Montreal in a handful of years and I'm realizing that my kids know nothing about 'hoods that aren't in Montreal's Southwest. Those reasons, along with the fact that my wanderlust grows on what feels like a daily basis, have lead me to set up Project Montreal.

I've made a list of different areas that includes a few very specific streets and attractions. At least once a month, starting next week-end, the kids and I will pick one of these out of a box, pack some snacks, dress appropriately and set out to explore whatever zone the luck of the draw has given us.


The deal is that, while there, we must learn a bit about the history of the place (this will probably entail me blabbing on to the kids, given that I used to giver tours of Montreal), we must sit down and eat at a local joint, we must visit three shops and we must walk around for at least a couple of hours. I'm thinking of adding one Geo Cache session per area, as well.

Seeing as this blog is becoming more of a lifestyle blog than a style blog (I don't think I'll ever be able to stand around in my backyard every day while my daughter snaps a photo just so I can show you what awesome threads I'm sporting), I will post about our adventures. This will, of course, depend on weather and other events but we have a few years to get this done so I'm in no rush!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management