Sunday, March 24, 2013

Week-End Roundup: Birthday Dinner, Rest, Organization and Urban Sugar Shack Goodness

This week-end was exactly what I needed. After a hectic birthday week-end, last week, that involved too little sleep and pee in my suitcase (don't ask! ...and no, it wasn't mine), I was craving tranquility and good vibes by the time Friday rolled around. And that is exactly what I got!

Two friends of mine invited me and another friend over for birthday dinner at their Griffintown loft. We had seared tuna steaks in a sesame crust with a delicious quinoa salad and another equally tasty papaya, mango, cucumber, lettuce salad with a yummy Thai dressing. Everything was topped with coconut and coriander and I was in heaven! My other friend brought a dozen deluxe donuts from a great shop in St-Henri, too.


The kids and I were all feeling a bit wonky come Saturday and so the day was spent drinking ginger lemon broth, watching movies and going through my fabrics, deciding what I will work on first for the shop. I'm a few weeks behind schedule but not really stressing about any of it.

Some fabrics that will be seen within the first week Pandemonium opens online are these nautical print cottons: 


And this great, Mexican inspired, Alexander Henry printed cotton called "Ojo des Dios":


I started pressing and cutting and getting everything ready so I can just start sewing this week.

Today we did more of the same but we went out for a walk. My daughter wore a headband she made from fabric scraps:




We decided to head over to the canal to Verdun, where there was an urban sugar shack of sorts set up on Wellington Street, between Galt and de l'Église.









Chalkboard cow, anyone?

The best part of this event, after the food and maple syrup on snow (for those of you who live across the pond, we poor hot maple syrup on snow and then twirl a wooden stick in it as it congeals. It makes for quite the tasty treat!) was this wall. Verdun wants to know what its people want to inhabit this vacant space. Everyone was invited to share their ideas on this wall:





Here's a photo one of my chums took when we were out of town and on the Lower East Side for a few days, last week. You can't see it but I'm wearing an awesome, pleated, mullet skirt from Top Shop that I got for an amazing $13. The biker boots were a gift from my ex and the coat is vintage and was purchased at Frip Prix Renaissance, in Verdun. The scarf is my daughter's and I bought it for her at H & M.



And now for some writing and sketching but nothing too exciting, as I have a long week ahead of me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management