Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Musings (Or: I'm leaving Montreal In a Handful of Years And I Don't Yet Know Where I'm Going)


I've always been a nomad at heart and, when I moved back to my hometown in 2000, I never imagined that I would still be here in 2013. I had planned on staying here long enough to have Ava and figure out what my next move would be. I thought about maybe working for Club Med for a while so that Ava could learn how to swim in the ocean and pick up different languages from the other kids passing through. Then I had my darling son and I haven't been able to move anywhere else since. 

I've always known that, ideally, I want to have a pied-à-terre in a city and a house in the woods. Next year, I'll be moving into a duplex that I will buy after two years, so I will have a home in Montréal, no matter where I go and it will also serve as a nest egg for my kids. I used to want to buy land an hour or so NW of here but now I'm eyeing the coast of New Brunswick because the most amazing thing for me would be to be able to sit up in bed in the morning and see the ocean. 

Last fall I decided I want to leave Montreal as soon as my son is either done high school or wants to leave with me, beforehand. Living in a town you know want to leave is interesting. I am committed to exploring every last nook and cranny of this place on the one hand and, on the other, I'm already disconnected from so much of what I used to think was important here. I've let several people go from my life and I'm sure I'm not quite finished with that process.

I'll miss my mom and a couple of friends but, overall, I'm excited! I intend to spend the next few years making myself as employable as possible so that I can work in fashion and/or media or, in an ideal world, so that I can write and design from wherever I am and not be tied down to any one office (unless it's for my own line!). 

Four to six years will go by quickly and so I'm already working on so much! To come: The new etsy shop will be up and running in April, I'll be making a few more announcements with regards to band merch, also in April; I have begun to look for someone who can work part-time and help with pattern making and sewing because I've designed new pieces for riff-raff and for another label, which will be revealed in the fall, and I've begun writing fiction again. I'm also working toward a certificate in photography as I have no doubt that that will help me along the way. Amazing times ahead!

I wonder where I'll end up...

My current facebook profile picture. Photo taken by me. Unedited. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management