Friday, February 22, 2013

Mods: A Style Profile. Dominic Chevrier (or "This Charming Man").







from now on, toward the end of each month, i'll be featuring a stylish montrealer and posting their answers to a series of questions, along with some photos of them in their everyday garb.
i thought it would be fun to start with a mod, given the theme of the current series but also to kick this trend off with a profile of a man. 

this particular man not only dresses sharply, has a sweet ride and has great taste in music but he would invite his girlfriend to a dinner for six if he could invite anyone at all, dead or alive, and knows well enough to not recommend the tiki restuarant on sherbrooke east. read on...




Name: DOMINIC CHEVRIER
Birthday: AUGUST 17/ 1974
Occupation: SALES MANAGER FOR LACOSTE FOOTWEAR

What, to you, embodies the essence of the mod and do you think this has changed between the time the movement started and now? 
It is simply related to music, clothes and how you feel it every day.

When did you first start relating to the mod lifestyle? How old were you and what do you think sparked it? 
It will be funny to mention that but I’m really into the movement since 3 years. I met a guy in England who became one of my best mates and when he started talking about it, I related to it right away. Since I was very young I was attracted to scooters, dressing well (loafers, parkas, clean stuff…) All without knowing what it was really was. I was always saying, "Like those guys in England."

How long have you been riding a scooter? For enthusiasts out there, tell us about your current ride: 
My first scooter was at age 15. I wasn't a mod at the time but I enjoyed it so much. 2 years ago I was able to effort a vintage one. I own now a Rally 180 / 1972 and will soon purchase a Lambretta 65 150 Special.

What’s the best show you’ve ever been to? 
Even if I love Northern Soul and Brit stuff I have to admit that I’m not only into that. I like world music like Henri Salvador. I'm also into stuff like Joy Division, The Smiths, The stone Roses, The Jam, The Kinks and of course, Oasis, my favourite band.
One of the best concerts I've been to was Ina Brown in Manchester, in December 2010. This is when I met my mate from Nottingham and the crowd was just crazy. Show started at 1h30am and was just insane to see all those people singing and just smiling at each other. We had the time of our lives.

Fashion

How do you feel about all the spring/summer 2013 lines that are clearly influenced by mod style?
There is no Mod brand but some that really have influence on it. Personally I like new stuff mixed with vintage. In London last fall I had a chance to find a nice 3 button jacket from the 60’s that I will fit with tailored trousers.
I have to admit that I’m a big Pretty Green fan. The brand has some nice paisley prints, Kaftans and boating jackets. I like his 60’s and 70’s music influence.
I guess it is not just about what you wear but how it look on you. I like making my own proper style. I don’t care about what people will say.
I think it should comeback more to the roots : Tailor and create your own style. Don’t copy anybody.

What are your three favourite pieces of clothing? 
Boating jacket, kaftans and a my # one is a Parka.

Travel

What is the best place you've traveled to and why do you say it is so? 
London : When I’m there I feel like I want to put a foot back in time and live there for a moment. It came naturally.

Do you find that other cities have more of a mod scene? Which ones have surprised you, if any? Nottingham has a good mod scene. It is North; Northern soul .


What if…
What if you ended up shipwrecked on a deserted island for several years and this island, magically, has a record/cd player and a sound system. You can only listen to five records or cds while you are there. Which ones do you bring?
Oasis : What’s the story morning glory
The Smiths : The Queen is dead
Stones roses : Stone roses
Henri Salvador : chamber avec vue
Northern soul compilation that included : Frank Wilson / Do I love you


You could get a trip in a time machine but just to attend one concert. You can choose anyone in the history of concerts. Who do you see, when and where?
Oasis in  Knebworth in 1996 . There was 250,000 people and it is describe as phenomenal

You’re hosting a dinner party and you can invite five people, living or dead, famous or not. What does your guest list look like?
Liam Gallagher
Jonny Marr
Henri Salvador
I will put all my mates name in a pot and pick one.
The 5th person will be my girl friend of course…


La Métropole
What are your favourite local bands? 
I don’t really listen to local bands but I like :
Kid Sentiment
Les Separatwist
Le Chelsea Beat

If a mod from out of town came to visit, where would you recommend he shop for clothing and go out at night?
For shopping : no where cause we've got nothing to show.
Restaurant : NOT to the Tiki restaurant on Sherbrooke . I will refer go to les Héritiers on Mt-Royal. One of my favourite French restaurant. After will go at the Mod Club. Crowd is very young and not Mod but at least some are supporting the scene and the DJs, who are also friends of mine, are doing their best to make it happen.

Where do you go to get your hair cut so that it’s just right?
I got my own hairdresser since more than 10 years. Roberto at coiffure sublime. I bring him a picture and he does what I want.

What is your favourite thing about Montréal?  
I’m free to be whatever I…

In your opinion, how do Mod Clubs in other cities compare to ours? 
No comment. Lol. The scene is too small to compare with the rest of the world. We show up with our scooter dress with jackets and kids ask us why we ride scooters? Are you going to a wedding? It is a subculture that no many know about it. It is very limited because what makes it different from the other culture is that when you part of this movement, you don’t decide to attempt to a group. It is because you feel it inside, in your soul and it is part of you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It’s a way of living…

What would like to see next, if anything, for Montréal’s mod scene?
I would like to see that movement grow or at least that the people who are influenced by the 60’s came more often. There is cool stuff to do instead of watching tv on a Friday or Saturday night.
My mate, Patrick Foisy, is doing a good job with his blog : Parka Avenue
He's also started a monthly event. Check it out on Facebook.

***

i've been following the aforementioned blog on tumblr for about a year now but, if you're into this scene, check out the full blog here.

***
all photos courtesy of dominic chevrier. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management